All international students who are neither U.S. Citizens nor Permanent Residents enroll in academic programs under one of two non-immigrant student visa types, an F-1 or J-1.

  Hiring an F1 International Student for a Summer Internship

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is work authorization that allows F-1 student visa holders to accept employment in their academic field after one year of full-time study. Students are eligible to work part-time or full-time during the summer quarter (typically beginning in mid-June).

Employer Role: Applying for CPT is solely the responsibility of the student and therefore requires no action on the part of the hiring organization.

Student Role: After the student has been offered a summer internship, he or she submits an online application providing the internship start and end dates as well as the organization’s name and complete physical address. This process is facilitated by the GSB MBA Program Office and the Bechtel International Center at Stanford University. In accordance with U.S. immigration regulations, Stanford GSB students who engage in part-time or full-time CPT must also enroll in a concurrent academic course.

Duration: For Stanford GSB F-1 students, the internship start and end dates must correspond to the University’s summer quarter schedule for that respective academic year.

Cost and Processing Time: There is no cost to the employer. The processing and approval time for CPT is within 5-10 working days.


  Hiring an F1 International Graduate for a Full-Time Internship

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is work authorization that allows F-1 student visa holders who have graduated to gain practical work experience related to their major field of study.

Employer Role: Applying for OPT is solely the responsibility of the student and therefore requires no action on the part of the hiring organization. OPT can be granted to the student with or without an offer of employment.

Student Role: Obtaining OPT work authorization is a two-step process. First, the F-1 student submits an online application which is processed and approved by an international advisor at the Bechtel International Center. Second, the F-1 student mails in her/his completed Bechtel documentation and required fee to the USCIS to secure OPT work authorization. Once approved, the USCIS issues an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card as proof of work authorization for the 12-month period.

Duration: 12 months for F-1 graduates of Stanford GSB

Cost and Processing Time: There is no cost to the employer. Bechtel processes the student’s OPT documentation within 5-10 working days. The USCIS processing time for OPT takes an average of 30-60 days but can take up to 3 months; therefore, students are encouraged to apply as early as 90 days prior to graduation. The new employee must have the EAD card in hand to start work.


  Hiring and Retaining Long-Term Global Talent

H-1B Visa: Applications for H-1B visas are submitted to the USCIS by the sponsoring company on behalf of the international employee. 65,000 H-1B visas are given out for candidates who have completed undergraduate degrees, and an additional 20,000 are available for those who have completed graduate degrees in the U.S.

Duration: H-1B visas are initially granted for three years, but can be renewed for a total of six years.

Employer Role: The employer is responsible for filing the H-1B application on behalf of the international employee. Many companies find thatretaining an experienced immigration attorney is helpful to facilitate the process.

Cost and Processing Time: Inclusive of attorney and USCIS application fees, the total cost to apply for an H-1B visa is between $5,000-7,000. The earliest date to apply for an H-1B is April 1. Historically, there has been a high demand for H-1B visas so it is strongly recommended that applications arrive at USCIS on April 1. Approved H-1B visas become effective October 1.

Recommended Timeline: The employer should file the H-1B application after a student has graduated from the GSB. If the application is filed prior to the student receiving his/her degree, the application will not be as strong. It will be based on the students’ previous academic degrees which may not have been a graduate degree or completed in the U.S.

Special Cases: Some non-profit, research and educational institutions are able to secure additional H-1B visas not subject to the yearly quota of 85,000. Citizens of Chile and Singapore, through a treaty with the U.S., are provided with a special allocation of 6,800 H-1B visas; as a result, these citizens have an easier time securing U.S. work authorization through the H-1B visa.


 Other Visa Options and Fees

J-1 Visa: For employers wishing to hire a J-1 visa holder, there is no fee involved or action to be taken. The J-1 student simply obtains authorization from his/her visa sponsor (e.g. The Fulbright Program) to work for up to a total of 18 months. It is the sole responsibility of the student to complete the online application process and approval is generally granted within 5-10 working days. Consult Bechtel International Center’s website for more information: acad_train.html

TN-1 Visa: Canadian or Mexican citizens who will be working in, but not limited to, the areas of economics or management consulting may be eligible for the TN-1 visa. The current processing fee is $140.00. The visa is valid for up to 3 years after which the employee must request an extension of stay through his/her employer.

E-3 Visa: Australians working in professional positions in the U.S. may be eligible for the E-3 visa. The current processing fee is $390.00. The visa is valid for 24 months but may be renewed.

L-1 Visa: The L-1 visa is an intra-company transfer visa. Employees must work at the same or an affiliated company outside of the U.S. for a minimum of one year in a management level role before being transferred to the U.S. The current processing fee is $150.00. The visa is valid for three years and may be extended for an additional two years, until the employee has reached the maximum limit of seven years.

Possible Additional Fees: In some cases there is a required visa issuance reciprocity fee, if applicable. Please consult the United States Department of State, Visa Reciprocity Tables to find out if you must pay a visa issuance reciprocity fee and what the fee amount is.

Related Topics Verifying Work Authorization: Consult your HR representative to determine what documentation will be needed to complete the I-9 form (Employment Eligibility Verification) for CPT. Proof of U.S. work authorization under OPT can be verified by the student’s EAD card.

Social Security Number: Once a student has secured an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Student Status) endorsed for CPT or OPT by the Bechtel International Center, he or she is then eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) up to 30 days before the start date of employment. To obtain an SSN, the student must apply with the local Social Security Administration office.

Labor Condition Application Labor condition application (LCA), is a document that a prospective H-1B employer files when seeking to employ foreign workers at a specific job occupation in an area of intended employment for up to three years.LCA Instructions: Form: 

I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification

I-9 Form

Handbook for Completing the I-9 Form


I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

I-765 Form

Instructions for I-765 Form


I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker

I-129 Form

Instructions for I-129 Form

Optional Checklist for I-129 H1-B Filings


We are grateful to these supporters who have helped Global Cleveland become a reality